Blind Date with a Great Book
Are you feeling a bit adventurous this winter? Are you ready to possibly broaden your reading horizons by taking a chance on a book? Our Readers’ Advisory staff at Cook Park has come up with a fun idea for February, in celebration of Valentine’s Day. Visit the Fiction Room to choose from an assortment of beribboned pink boxes, each one containing a staff-recommended novel. You won’t know what it is until you open the box. Here’s the scoop:
* You can check out these books without unwrapping them. Their ID tags will scan through cardboard boxes or wrapping paper.
* If you want to unwrap the book before leaving the library, please return the box to the Adult Reference Desk.
* Books do not have to be re-wrapped upon return. Just return them as you would any other library book.
Enjoy your surprise!Add a comment
Two patrons asked "Ear" questions this week!
Q. Are there any plans to expand the parking lot at the Aspen Drive Library?
A. Not at this time. Parking at the Aspen Drive Library is sometimes stretched to capacity, especially for popular evening programs. During these special events when the parking lot is full, we encourage patrons to use the parking lot at the Vernon Hills Park District’s Sullivan Center, just south of the library on Aspen Drive. Signs directing patrons to the Sullivan Center are posted at the library entryway during these special events.
Q. Since the ESL class that meets at the Aspen Drive Library is full, what alternatives are there for free English language classes?
A. This link to Mundelein High School ESL Classes lists all the locations currently used for classes, including some that have openings. Also, a new class will be starting at our Cook Park Library on Tuesday, February 5. To register, call 847-949-2200 ext 1399 between 9:15 and 12:15 on Tuesday, January 29 or Thursday, January 31.
2012 IRS Forms Delayed
A patron asked, “Why doesn’t the library have any 2012 1040 income tax forms and instructions available? And what about IRS Publication 17?”
Here’s the answer from the IRS:
“The production of some 2012 major tax products, including the Form 1040 and the Instructions for Form 1040, is impacted by the recent passage of the American Taxpayer Relief Act of 2012. At this time, we do not have an estimate as to when products will become available on IRS.gov or in print.”
Of course, we will make these forms and publications available as soon as we receive them. Please note, though, that the IRS will not send us any form 1099s this year. Online 1099s are for informational purposes only and cannot be printed and submitted. You can order 1099s by calling the IRS at 1-800-829-3676.Add a comment
Winter Reading Clubs
Chilly winter days are a great time to curl up with a good book – or eBook. To provide a little extra incentive, we are bringing back the Adult Winter Reading Club. Here’s the scoop:
- Read a literary classic between January 12 and February 28.
- If you would like to add a modern twist to your classic experience, read the book on your smart phone, tablet or e-reader. To find a classic to check out electronically go to My Media Mall and choose Classic Literature from the list of options under eBook Fiction.
- Prefer to read a print copy? That’s fine! Need suggestions? Take a look at this list of popular classic titles from Goodreads.
- Fill out a brief review form telling us if you liked the book and why. You will be entered in a drawing for a Google Nexus 7 tablet!
- If you would like to discuss a classic as well as read one, please visit one of our Reference Desks to register for our Classics Book Club. The club will meet at 7 pm Tuesday, January 29 at Aspen Drive to discuss The Scarlet Letter and at 7 pm Monday, February 25 at Cook Park to discuss Vanity Fair.
- We have Winter Reading Clubs for children and families too!
Zinio Digital Magazines
Would you like the convenience of browsing current magazines, at your leisure, on your computer or mobile device? Thanks to a new library service called Zinio, you can read magazines online for free. Click the Zinio button here or on the front page of our website to set up your own personal free account. Use the Zinio How-To Guide to see the list of magazines available and get the full scoop on how to create and use your Zinio account. Magazines you check out have no waitlists and no due dates. Once you check out and "deliver" a title to your Zinio collection, you will have access to it for as long as you wish!
Add a comment