Article I. Objectives
The objectives of the Policies and Procedures are to:
- Establish policy with reference to the mission and goals of the Library in areas not covered by law which the Board considers to be of critical importance. Policy, thus established, is a guideline for Board activity and the administration of the Library.
- Amplify By-Laws for the convenience of the Board.
- Set down in convenient form the legal requirements that the Library must meet.
Article II. Method of Establishing Policies and Procedures
When a need becomes apparent for a written policy on a particular subject, the President may refer the task to the Policy Review Committee or appoint a committee for the specific purpose of writing said policy. Normally, the Library Director will draft a policy (with the assistance of the staff when appropriate) and submit it to the committee for review and revision. The revised policy shall be reported out of committee for further review and revision by the Board as a whole. Outside legal or technical advice may be required. Adoption of Policies and Procedures shall be by majority affirmative vote of the Trustees present at a regular open meeting of the Board.
Article III. Form
Each policy or procedure shall contain a series of numbered articles and sections setting forth the policy. Each policy shall be signed by the Secretary and dated with the date of the Board Meeting at which it was adopted or revised.
Article IV. Review and Revision
All policies and procedures will be reviewed periodically as necessary with the goal of reviewing all policies within a four-year period.
Policies and procedures may be waived or suspended by a majority vote of trustees present. Reexamination of any policy or procedure may be initiated at any time by any Board member or the Library Director. The date of the last comprehensive revision or review of a policy or procedure will be posted on the original copy.
Article V. Acknowledgement of Applicable Law
The Trustees understand and acknowledge that policies and procedures are:
- Designed to assist the Board with procedures and guidelines governing Library District affairs and operations.
- Subject to, and do not supersede, other laws applicable to Library District affairs and business.
- Automatically amended, by operation of law, to the extent of any conflict between the policies and procedures and other applicable laws.
- Intended to be updated by the Trustees periodically in an effort to maintain consistency between the policies and procedures and other applicable laws.
Article VI. Availability
The official copy of the Policies and Procedures and the By-Laws shall be kept in the Library Director’s office. A copy of these documents will be available for public inspection at the Reference Desk and posted on the Library’s website.