The Aspen Drive Library in Vernon Hills has filled a great need for library services in the southern part of the library district since opening in 2010. Regular visitors to the library know that its popularity has brought about challenges, including inadequate space for children and teens and limited quiet areas for adults.
In response to these space challenges, the Library Board is going forward with a construction plan to add a 15,000-square-foot addition to the Aspen Drive Library. Half of the addition will be at ground level, and the other half will be a basement for storage and future development. The new addition will accommodate a significantly larger children’s area and provide expanded space in the existing building for adults and teens. The board intends to finance the expansion using reserves and funds from its general operating budget.
- Budget: $6.75 million
- Architect: Product Architecture + Design
- Construction Manager: Featherstone, Inc.
- Library will remain open throughout most of the project.
- New children’s wing with expanded space for programming, collections and seating.
- Large new quiet space.
- Enclosed and expanded space for middle school students visiting after school.
- Dedicated area for high school students.
- Additional study rooms.
- Additional space for collections.
- Enlarged digital studio space with new recording booth.
- Summer 2018 – Design
- Fall 2018 – Preparation of Construction Documents
- December 2018 – Award Construction Contracts
- March 2019 – Construction Begins
- December 2019 – Tentative Opening
Click image to view full size.