Loan Periods & Limits
See Use of the Library for the Library Board policy on borrowing privileges and circulation rules.
Access Your Account
If an item in our catalog is checked out or unavailable, you may place a hold to get in the queue and be notified when it is ready to be picked up.
- Use our online catalog or mobile app to find the material you want.
- Click the Request It button.
- Enter your library card number and password, then select where you would like to pick up the item.
- In person at any library location
- Online in your library account or via the mobile app
- Call 847-362-0438
- Reply to text message reminders – How to set up text messaging
- Reply to reminder emails with a renewal request
Return library materials to any of our library locations:
- Aspen Drive Library, Vernon Hills
- Cook Park Library, Libertyville
Additional dropboxes available at:
Circulating equipment must be returned in-person at a library location.
Receive courtesy notifications when:
- holds are available for pick-up
- items are due soon
- items are long overdue
To register or change your email address, fill out this form or speak with a staff member at the Checkout Desk.
Receive courtesy notifications via text message using our Shoutbomb text messaging service. Find out more.
Note: does not replace notifications sent via email/phone/print.
We are proud to be a fine-free library as of April 1, 2021. No more fines on print and AV material means that everyone in our district is ensured equal access and barriers are reduced to library resources and materials. However, due dates still apply so that items may be enjoyed by all.
Fines are still assessed for:
- Lost or damaged items ($3 processing fee + item cost)
- Equipment ($0.50/day; $3 max.)
- Circulating laptops ($5/day; $25 max.)
- Astronomy equipment ($5/day; $25 max.)
If you have not extended the due dates and materials become three weeks overdue, your borrowing privileges will be withdrawn. And, no one wants that!
- 1 Week Overdue: 1st Overdue Notice sent
- 2 Weeks Overdue: 2nd Overdue Notice sent
- 3 Weeks Overdue: items are billed; all privileges withdrawn
- PAY LIBRARY ACCOUNT CHARGES
- Fees exceeding $25 must be paid prior to checkout. Payment for fees is non-refundable.
- Replacement of lost/damaged materials shall be at list price plus a non-refundable $3 processing fee.
- Items are billed at 21 days overdue and must be paid or returned prior to checkout. Bill payments will be refunded, minus the processing fee, if the items are returned within 6 months.
Cook Memorial Public Library District adheres to the State of Illinois’ Library Records Confidentiality Act. See our Patron Records policy for more information.